This post may contain affiliate links. Traveling Well For Less has partnered with CardRatings for our coverage of credit card products. Traveling Well For Less and CardRatings may receive a commission from card issuers. Opinions, reviews, analyses & recommendations are the author’s alone, and have not been reviewed, endorsed or approved by any of these entities. Please read my Disclosure and Privacy pages for more info.
This past weekend’s FTULAX was one to live in infamy. Looking for a glimpse of what you missed? Here are my Frequent Traveler University LAX takeaways.
The hardest decision you’ll have to make while attending an FTU is deciding what session to attend.
Saturday December 1
- ITA can help you plan your mileage run
- Choose an airline that offers bonus miles for passing thresholds, has generous routing rules, and meets your mileage goals
1030am – 1145pm
Session 1: Travel Like a Pro: Handling Every Problem the Airlines Throw at You with Brett Snyder (Cranky Flier)
Session 2: Which Hotel Program Works Best for You? with Ed Pizzarello (Pizzaman)
- Hyatt Diamond is the best hotel loyalty program
- Starwood Platinum is the second best hotel loyalty program
If you’re wondering why I have takeaways from both 1030am sessions, I cloned myself for FTULAX. All right, the truth is, I left Brett’s session to hear Ed’s view on hotel programs.
1245pm – 200pm
Hyatt Gold Passport with Todd Tomlin (Hyatt)
- Look for “new” Hyatt hotels in India and China with 5 Hyatts to open in India in the next month
- Start using Apple Passbook
215pm – 330pm
Session 2: Earn 5X everywhere (with or without Vanilla/Ink) — or More with Greg (Frequent Miler)
- Get to know category bonuses
I’m assuming Greg will put up a summary post as he did following the Chicago Seminars so be sure to watch for his post.
- Milewise was voted best in show and won $500
- Each company will have an opportunity to win a $50,000 grant. Winner will be announced at the Freddies next year, the night before Frequent Traveler University 2013. Buy your ticket to Frequent Traveler University 2013.
Sunday December 2
900am – 1015am – Secrets and Lies – Off the Record Tricks and Tips You Won’t Find on the Forums
- Eight pages of notes on this one.
If you want to know, you’ve got to go. To learn the off the record tricks and tips, you need to attend the Frequent Traveler University. Be sure to get your ticket to Frequent Traveler University 2013.
10:30am – 11:45pm
Session 2: Advance Technique: Three Vacations, Two Awards – Adding a Free One-way to Award Tickets with Scott (MileValue)
- Four Key Concepts to keep in mind: Stopover at Home airport, a stopover plus an open jaw equals a free one way, no such thing as a free one way, different airlines have different rules
1245pm – 200pm
Session 2: Travel Tools You Can Use: Online Resources to Plan, Save Money, and Travel Better with Seth Miller (The Wandering Aramean)
- Keep your partner happy and just have them focus on signup bonuses vs worrying about what credit card to use for category bonuses
- Signup bonus spend ranges from 3.5x – 21x
As with FTU Newark, I came away with a notebook filled with notes. I’ll be transcribing my notes this week. If you are interested in receiving an outline of my notes from the sessions I attended, send me an email. Just a reminder, outline notes from the Off the Record session will not be available.
Did you like this post? Don’t want to miss any posts? You can Follow me on Twitter or Like me on Facebook. Simply sign up via the subscription links below. If you’d rather receive post updates by email, please use the box below.
Traveling Well For Less has partnered with CardRatings for our coverage of credit card products. Traveling Well For Less and CardRatings may receive a commission from card issuers.