Skip to Content

How to Enroll in EVUS

Share with a friend

Visiting the US can be tricky for foreign visitors. Citizens of some countries visiting the US need a visa, ESTA, or EVUS. Here’s how to enroll in EVUS.

Maggie emailed

Hi. I love your blog. I’m planning a visit to the US. Do I need an EVUS? I am Chinese.

What is EVUS

Visiting the US? You might need an EVUS.

Photo courtesy: NASA via Unsplash

Enrollment in EVUS (Electronic Visa Update System) is required for all Chinese Nationals (citizens) including children who have a 10 year B1, B2, or B1/B2 visa to visit or transit through the United States.

If you have any other visa that is not B1, B2, or B1/B2 or have a Hong Kong SAR, Macau SAR, and Taiwan passport you do not need to enroll in EVUS.

You should enroll before you board your plane or ship to the United States. Because some airlines will not give you a boarding pass if you have not enrolled in EVUS.

Pro-tip: Submit your EVUS enrollment at least 72 hours before travel.

Enrollment in EVUS is valid for two years except when you:

  • Get a new passport
  • Receive a new 10-year B1, B2, or B1/B2 visa
  • Change your name
  • Undergo a gender change
  • Change your citizenship
  • Any underlying circumstances such as visa denial, arrest, etc. occur

How to Enroll in EVUS

You can enroll in EVUS online. Currently, there is no fee to enroll on the government site, but soon they will start charging a fee. The EVUS US electronic visa site charges $39. This small fee may be worth it for peace of mind and to ensure that your EVUS enrollment is submitted correctly. I’ve used visa service companies to get my Chinese and Brazil visas. Both times it was worth it to avoid hassles.

Enrollment takes about 20 to 25 minutes. Requirements to enroll in EVUS:

  • Valid Chinese passport (minimum 6 months before expiration)
  • 10 year B1, B2, or B1/B2 visa issued by the state?
  • Address of destination in the US
  • Emergency contact

Pro-tip: You should enroll in EVUS when you get your visa.

Step 1. Enroll in EVUS

Submit your EVUS online. Chose individual enrollment then click confirm & continue.

Pro-tip: Use group enrollment if you’re enrolling more than 1 person

Step 2. Accept Terms of Disclaimer

Select yes that you understanding that enrolling in EVUS doesn’t guarantee application approval. Approval depends on the US Customs and Border Protection officer at your US entry point.

Step 3. Enter Your Personal Information

Enter your personal information to include your name and date of birth as shown on your Chinese passport. Select yes from the drop-down box to confirm you have a valid 10 year US visa.

Step 4. Visa & Passport Information

Provide your Visa foil number and passport information.

Step 5. Enrollee Information

Enter the following enrollee information:

  • Surname
  • First (given)
  • Gender
  • Date of birth
  • Country of birth
  • Country of Citizenship

You’ll be asked to include additional personal identifying information such as home address, phone number, other names used, etc.

Step 6. Emergency Contact Information

Provide full name, email address, and phone number for an emergency contact.

Pro-tip: This person does not have to be in the United States

Step 7. Eligibility Questions

Answer the eligibility questions truthfully and to the best of your ability.

Step 8. Review Your Enrollment

Review your information to make sure everything is accurate. If you need to make any corrections, click edit to change information. If everything is correct, click confirm and continue.

Pro-tip: When you submit your EVUS you can’t change any information. So be sure everything is correct before you confirm and enroll in EVUS.

Step 9. Select Certification Type

Choose the type of certification: enrollee or third party.

Step 10. Submit

Click the submit button to enroll in EVUS. After submitting, if your application was successful an “enrolled” screen will appear.

Pro-tip: Click print or download to save a copy of your EVUS enrollment for your records before you exit the screen.

What if You Don’t Get an Enrolled Message

When you enroll in EVUS you can get one of four responses:

  • Successful
  • Unsuccessful
  • Visa Revoked
  • Pending


A “successful” message means your EVUS enrollment was approved. Remember to print a copy of your successful enrollment of EVUS.


If you receive an “unsuccessful” message, your EVUS enrollment failed for one of several reasons:

  • Invalid passport
  • Response to EVUS questions
  • Invalid visa

When you get an “unsuccessful” message your visa to the US will be provisionally revoked. You have to call the Customs and Border Patrol (CBP) call center at 202-325-0180 for further instructions. The call center is open 24 hours, every day except US holidays.

Visa Revoked

If you get a visa revoked message the State Department has revoked your visa. You will need to apply for a new visa. Once you have a new visa, you can enroll in EVUS.


A pending message means CBP is processing your application. It can take up to 72 hours to process your EVUS. You can check the status of your EVUS application.


A Chinese citizen visiting the United States on a B1, B2, or B1/B2 visa or transiting the US needs to enroll in EVUS.

Enrolling in EVUS is easy and takes about 25 minutes. You can submit your application online for free through the government site. You should enroll at least 72 hours prior to arriving in the US.

Do you have any questions on how to enroll in EVUS?

Pin this to your travel, travel tips board:

Visiting or transiting the United States? You might need an EVUS. Here’s how to enroll in EVUS. #traveltips #travel #travelhack

Comment, share this post, tweet, or give me a +1.

Follow us on Twitter | Facebook | Pinterest | Instagram | Google+

Got a question? Or want help, suggestions, travel tips, learn how to travel for free, find out about travel deals, and maximize your miles and points? Use the subscription box below to sign-up and get post updates by email.

Traveling Well For Less has partnered with Your Best Credit Cards for our coverage of credit card products. Traveling Well For Less and YBCC may receive a commission from card issuers.

Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card

The Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card is the best card to get started in the world of miles and points. It is the first card you should get to start traveling for free because the welcome offer is 60,000 points after spending $4,000 in the first three months.
My favorite perks about this card are earning 5X points on travel when booked through the Chase portal (2X if direct purchase), 3X points on dining, $50 yearly credit on hotels booked through the Chase portal, no foreign transaction fees, and transferring points to 13 airline and hotel partners like Hyatt, United, and Southwest.

Chase Freedom Unlimited®

The Chase Freedom Unlimited® is one of my favorite cards for earning cash back card and travel rewards. It offers a welcome offer of an additional 1.5% cash back on all your purchases up to $20,000 your first year.
My favorite perks about this card are earning 5% cash back on travel booked through the Chase Travel Portal, 3% cash back at drugstores and restaurants (including delivery and takeout), 1.5% cash back on all other purchases and no annual fee. When paired with cards like the Chase Sapphire Reserve® Card or Ink Business Cash® Credit Card, you can use your points to travel for free.

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.