Registration for the Starwood Better By The Night Promotion is now open. Here's your 2…
Registration is now live for the SPG Power Up Promotion. Under the SPG Power Up Promotion you can earn up to 18,000 Starpoints.
You’ll earn 2,000 Starpoints after every four stays. With a maximum of 8,000 bonus Starpoints earned after 16 nights.
After your 20th night, you’ll receive an additional 10,000 Starpoints.
2 Easy Steps to SPG Power Up Promotion and earn up to 18,000 Starpoints:
- Register for the SPG Power Up Promotion here.
- Stay at any Starwood hotel or resorts between January 15 – April 15, 2013.
Is the SPG Power Up Promotion worthy of a mattress run?
In my opinion, no. And here’s why…
Since you have to stay 4 nights to get 2,000 bonus Starpoints Starwood is basically offering 500 bonus Starpoints a night under the SPG Power Up Promotion.
Let’s assume a Starwood Hotel costs $100 a night. If you were to mattress run specifically for this promotion it would cost you $0.20 cpp (cost per point). ($100 ÷ 500 = $0.20).
Even if you were lucky and found a $40 a night Starwood, your cost would be $0.08 cpp (cost per point). ($40 ÷ 500 = $0.08).
But wait you say. You’re forgetting the 10,000 bonus Starpoints after your 20th night.
Okay, let’s add that into the equation and see if it’s still mattress run worthy…
Using the same figures above, $100 hotel and $40 hotel:
The $100 hotel after 20 nights would earn you 18,000 bonus Starpoints at a cost of $0.11 cpp (cost per point). ($2,000 ÷ 18,000 = $0.11).
At $0.11 a point it’s not worthwhile.
The $40 hotel after 20 nights would earn you 18,000 bonus Starpoints at a cost of $0.04 cpp (cost per point). ($800 ÷ 18,000 = $0.04).
At $0.04 a point, I could possibly be persuaded, but realistically, how many $40 a night Starwoods are there?
While I wouldn’t do a mattress run, I’ve registered for the promotion.
I like Starwood and have had great experiences at their hotels. And as mentioned in previous posts, I register for the all promotions, because you never know…
Summary of the fine print:
- Registration is required and must be completed by midnight ET on February 28, 2013
- 2,000 Starpoints are earned after every four nights
- A maximum of 8,000 Starpoints after 16 nights will be earned
- Bonus of 10,000 Starpoints are awarded after 20 nights
- Promotion period is January 15 – April 15, 2013
- Bonus Starpoints will post within 2-4 weeks after qualifying stays (4th, 8th, 12th, 16th, and 20th stays)
- Only eligible rates qualify – see Section 1.4 b iii for the complete definition of eligible rates
- Rates booked via third party (including but not limited to travelocity.com, expedia.com and orbitz.com) are not eligible rates and do not earn Starpoints or qualify toward promotional earnings
Are you going to register for the SPG Power Up Promotion?
If you know of any $40/night Starwoods, feel free to share their location with me. 🙂
Did you like this post? Don’t want to miss any posts? You can Follow me on Twitter or Like me on Facebook. Simply sign up via the subscription links below. If you’d rather receive post updates by email, please use the box below.
Traveling Well For Less has partnered with CardRatings for our coverage of credit card products. Traveling Well For Less and CardRatings may receive a commission from card issuers.