Update: The credit card offer in this post is no longer available. Check our credit card page for the latest offers.
Trying to score a free flight? Is your stash of Southwest points getting low? Do you need to earn a few points to get your Southwest Companion Pass (good for up to 2 years of free travel)? Then you’re in luck. Here are 7 ways to earn Southwest points this holiday.
1. 40,000 Point Southwest Credit Card
You can earn 50,000 Southwest points after spending $1,000 on purchases in the first 3 months of opening a Southwest Premier credit card.
With 40,000 points you’re almost half of the way to earning the Southwest Companion Pass and two years of free flights!
2. 2,000 Bonus Points
Already got the Southwest credit card? You’ll get 2,000 bonus points if you spend $4,000 by December 31, 2016.
Enroll in this promotion at http://www.chase.com/mybonus/swa41.
Save gas, time, and avoid the crowds by shopping online through the Southwest shopping portal. And earn lots of bonus Southwest points.
Here are just a few examples:
- 3,600 points from Verizon
- 2,700 points from T-Mobile
- 700 points when subscribing to the Wall Street Journal
- 15 points per $1 spent at Magazines.com
Sign-up for the Southwest Dining program and earn 1,000 bonus points after spending $25 in the first 30 days.
5. Car Rentals
You’ll earn up to 2,400 Southwest points per rental with Avis and save up to 35% through January 31, 2018.
- 600 points for 1 to 2 day rentals
- 1,200 points for 3 to 6 day rentals
- 2,400 points for 7+ day rentals
Use coupon code: MUAA042 and AWD K024700 in the Corporate/ID rate field for Avis.
You get up to 30% off and up to 2,400 Southwest points per rental from National through January 31, 2018.
- 600 points for 1 day rentals
- 1,200 points for 2 to 3 day rentals
- 1,800 points for 4 to 6 day rentals
- 2,400 points for 7+ day rentals
Use Contract ID: 5030514.
Note: Only the first 600 points per rental count towards your Southwest Companion Pass, A-List, and A-List Preferred elite status.
Pro-tip: Like hotel stays, book your car rentals in 1 day increments. This way you earn 4,200 points for a 7-day rental instead of only 2,400 points.
Take your first ride with Lyft and get 1,100 Southwest points when you make your reservation at https://www.lyft.com/swarrewards, and you live near these airports:
- Austin-Bergstrom International Airport
- Chicago Midway International Airport
- Dallas Love Field
- Los Angeles International Airport
- Louisville International Airport
- McCarren International Airport (Las Vegas)
- Nashville International Airport
- Oakland International Airport
- Reagan National Airport (Washington, D.C.)
- San Antonio International Airport
- San Diego International Airport
Pro-tip: Get $5 Lyft credit when you use code: DEBRA191454
Get 600 Southwest points each time you stay at these hotels:
- Best Western, Best Western Plus, and Best Western Premier Hotels and Resorts
- Carlson Rezidor Hotels (Country Inns & Suites by Carlson, Park Inn by Radisson, Park Plaza, Radisson, and Radisson Blu hotels and resorts)
- Choice hotels
- La Quinta
Take advantage of special bonuses and earn more Southwest points with these 7 ways to earn Southwest points this holiday.
You can earn bonus points on everything from rental cars, shopping to dining out.
Score big with a 40,000 point bonus on the Southwest credit card.
Pin this to your travel, travel hack or vacation board:
Comment, share this post, tweet, or give me a +1.
Want to get more travel tips, learn how to travel for free, find out about travel deals, and maximize your miles and points? Use the subscription box below to sign-up and get post updates by email.
Traveling Well For Less has partnered with CardRatings for our coverage of credit card products. Traveling Well For Less and CardRatings may receive a commission from card issuers.